The Sunday Leader

Prison Officials Tell Former Ltte Cadres To Stop Strike

By Raisa Wickrematunge
Prison officials had requested former LTTE cadres to stop their hunger strike at the Welikada prison, The Sunday Leader learned on Friday (18).
The Commissioner of Prisons P. W. Kodippili confirmed that the remandees had gone on a hunger strike complaining of the crowded conditions.
In a circulated note purporting to be from the prisoners, it was pointed out that nearly three years had passed since the end of the war. Yet the political detainees were still being held at the Colombo Remand Prison. They therefore commenced a hunger strike on Thursday (17) demanding their release. However the Prisons Commissioner says there were no plans to release the prisoners. They were due either to be presented before court or to be rehabilitated. The official added that discussions were underway to decide what action should be taken on the prisoners.
A message asking the prisoners to stop the hunger strike had been delivered on Friday morning, the official confirmed.
However, it was not known if the reportedly 80 prisoners on strike had eaten following the message, he said.

1 Comment for “Prison Officials Tell Former Ltte Cadres To Stop Strike”

  1. Matupala Gamage

    LTTE terrorist need rehibiliation programes,has to re-enter society,you cannot just relase without such traning.
    They have be patiance until process to be REHIBILIATED PROGRAME start.
    There are large number of Al Kaida terrorist still in Guwatanmo Terrorist cell without trial.
    That is USA Human-Rights and Court of Law.Sri Lanka is more lieant than Al-Kaida terrorist.Stop you Hunger strikes,and back to cell. And discussed peaceful way to slove your griverances ,DON’T USED TERRORIST METHODS FOR UNDERMINE PRISON RULES.USED THE PEACEFUL MEANS.

Comments are closed

Photo Gallery

Log in | Designed by Gabfire themes