Keheliya Says Two Suspects Arrested
By Camelia Natheniel
Minister of Media and Information and Government spokesman Keheliya Rambukwella said that two people have been arrested in connection with the shooting incident of The Sunday Leader journalist Faraz Shauketaly.
He said that the Criminal Investigation Department had made a breakthrough in the investigations regarding the shooting incident.
Surprisingly Rambukwella and the Police spokesman SSP Jayakody made contradictory statements with regard to the status of the investigation.
Rambukwella maintained, “Several persons had been taken in for questioning and their statements recorded. Two persons had also been arrested with regard to the shooting. The motive for the shooting has been established, though it is too early to comment on that, and the reason for the shooting will be revealed very soon,” he said.
Speaking to The Sunday Leader Police spokesman SSP Jayakody said that the Mount Lavinia police had indeed arrested two persons, but it had not been in connection to the shooting of Shauketaly.
“Two persons had been arrested on Thursday by the Mount Lavinia police in connection with another incident which is not connected to this incident and it is a separate one altogether. The Criminal Investigation Department is handling the case and we expect a breakthrough very soon. However so far no suspects have been identified and the motive for the shooting has also not bees established as yet,” he added. Shauketaly was shot at his residence on Friday February 15, by three unidentified men and suffered injuries to his lower neck.