denies hand in southern killings
The Tigers last week denied any involvement
in the attacks against the civilians in the
LTTE's denial came 48 hours after President
Mahinda Rajapakse told the media he did not
believe the LTTE were behind the bomb
attacks in Colombo or the attacks in the
south. The President said he believed it was
the work of a political group and interested
LTTE military spokesperson Rasiah
Illanthirayan told The Sunday Leader that
the government's allegations against the
LTTE on civilian attacks were totally false.
"The LTTE has no connection at all with
the civilian attacks in the south,"
Ilanthirayan also said that the government
continued to attack civilian areas in the
"The LTTE is being accused of carrying
out attacks on civilians in the south, which
is totally false. At the same time, the Sri
Lankan government forces continue their
strikes on civilian areas in the Wanni,"
One civilian was killed and three were
injured due to air strikes in the
Krishnapuram area, Ilanthirayan added.
He stated that Krishnapuram was populated
with up-country people who had settled in
the area in the 1980s.
Speaking on the discovery of 16 bodies in
Kebethigollewa last week, Ilanthirayan
stated that the discovery could contain the
answer to the disappearances of civilians in
Vavuniya and Colombo.
"That is our view. It was reported that
the recovered bodies were of youths. This
might be the answer to the disappearances of
civilians in the north and south."
Attacks on civilians intensified in the south
following the abrogation of the Ceasefire
Agreement by the government.
However, the Tigers had expressed their
willingness to be a part of the CFA despite
the government's decision to withdraw.
Back to the News