World Affairs








Sex, lies and dirty deals that have... The fury of a love unrequited

 Multi million dollar extension in the works on existing contract

Jeyaraj Fernandopulle

Hanky panky over highway project

By Sonali Samarasinghe

Road Development Authority officials are fuming over attempts by an official close to Minister Jeyaraj Fernandopulle to allegedly manipulate a multi million dollar extension to an existing contract. 

If allowed, the government would be forced to pay out millions of dollars in enhanced rates amounting to approximately US$30-40 million despite the fact that the original contractual terms remain fundamentally intact and no changes are made to the scope or design thereof.

A section of the Southern Transport Development Project (STDP) for the construction of a dual carriage expressway between Colombo and Matara was awarded to the China Harbour Engineering Company (Group) on September 8, 2005 at a contract price of Rs. 9,585,869,448. The local agent for China Harbour is none other than Sumal Perera of Access International.

The Project Engineers for the STDP were Pacific Consultants International whose representative up until January 9, 2008 was one Julian R.B. Cusack.

Representative removed

Cusack was removed from his post as the engineer's representative on the request of RDA officials who accused him of partiality towards the China Harbour Company in direct conflict with the interests of his own employer. On January 9, 2008 Cusack was replaced by one Toki by Pacific Consultants International (PCI) on a permanent basis in accordance with the instructions of the RDA.   

Meanwhile RDA officials allege that young Nilrusha Peiris, the private secretary of Minister of Highways, Jeyaraj Fernandopulle and a good friend of Sumal Perera, is not only interfering with the work of senior and experienced officials but also attempting to pressurise the RDA and the Ministry with regard to this contract. An allegation Nilrusha Peiris hotly denies. 

Nilrusha has been with Fernandopulle a long time. He joined the Minister as a personal assistant when Fernandopulle was aviation minister during the Chandrika Kumaratunga government. When Fernandopulle was appointed the treasurer of the SLFP following Mangala Samaraweera's defection from the party, it was Sumal and Nilrusha with some others who organised a grand show at the Waters Edge to celebrate the appointment. Sumal himself was present at the gala event.


Not only that, the private secretary is being accused of attempting to have Cusack reinstated by applying pressure on senior RDA officials such as S. Meihandan, the project director for the Southern Transport Development Project. Nilrusha however denies all impropriety on the matter. Meihandan when contacted refused to comment stating he was not authorised to make any statements to outsiders and suggested the newspaper should talk to higher officials in the RDA about the matter.

Meihandan was to write to the project engineers, Pacific Consultants International on January 7, complaining about Cusack including his obvious partiality towards the contractor to the detriment of PCI and RDA.

The next day, on January 8, Director PCI, Haruo Sakashita was to write to Meihandan reassuring the project director that PCI's engineering consultancy services are carried out keeping the best interest of the project as a first priority.

Sakashita regretted that Cusack could not satisfy the RDA with his performance and appointed a new engineer's representative, Mr. Toki.  The letter also promised RDA of carrying out the best interest of the project (See elsewhere for copy of letter).

One of the concerns the RDA had was that Cusack was going out of his way to promote the restructuring of the contract and by building up a bank of correspondence dealing with the matter was even helping the Chinese contractor to set up a platform to argue the issue.


Another concern was that Cusack who assumed duties as the engineer's representative on July 2, 2007 only two days later was to fire a letter to the Project Director, RDA, seriously detrimental to the RDA and to the project. While he did not consult a PCI engineer, his predecessor or other expert opinion before making these technical observations and recommendations, the letter which was in favour of the contractor and detrimental to the government of Sri Lanka was copied to the Chinese contractor.

Cusack was also in the habit of not copying any correspondence the engineer had with the contractor to the RDA even though that was the usual practice until then. However he eagerly copied all letters to the RDA from the engineer to the Chinese contracting company.

Since Cusack took over as representative, RDA officials also charge that claims by the contractor have increased drastically. Upto June 2007, for a period of 21 months there were only 46 claims whereas since July the number of claims have shot up to 73 with Cusack even prompting the contracting company to submit claims to the RDA.

It was for these sins that Cusack was finally removed on January 8 by his employer Pacific Consultants International at the request of the Road Development Authority.  

Be that as it may, earlier in November 27, 2007 the project director of the China Harbour Engineering Company, Chris Lau wrote to Pacific Consultants International who were the Engineers for the Southern Transport Development Project, requesting a restructure of the contract on the basis the engineer had instructed changes which would increase the value of the works by about 30 percent.


So what is the Southern Transport Development Project? It is a project for the construction of a dual carriage expressway between Colombo and Matara funded by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Japanese Bank of International Cooperation (JBIC). For purposes of administration the project is divided into the ADB section and the JBIC section, which section is being implemented as package 1 and 2.

Package 1 is the northerly section and consists of 34 kilometres of highway between Kottawa and Dodangoda and it is this section that has been contracted to the Chinese Harbour Company of which the local agent is Sumal Perera.

It is the contention of the Chinese company of which Sumal is agent that since the commencement of the works the engineer had instructed changes which he estimates would increase the value of the works by around 30 percent.

The Chinese company is of the view that based on similar cases in Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom the company as the contractor could refuse to carry out such additional work or to protest that the additional work was outside the contract and insist on being paid on a quantum merit basis.

Restructure contract

To this end the Chinese company has sought on November 26, 2007 a restructuring of the contract to include the alleged additional work and to contain its risk to what it undertook and agreed to when it concluded the contract. This restructuring proposal was sent as said before by Chris Lau to the engineer's representative of Pacific Consultants International (PCI) - at the time Julian R.B.Cusack, on November 27.

But matters came to a head only last Wednesday, January 23 when Nilrusha Pieris convened a meeting at the Ministry premises to discuss the issues connected with the restructure. To this end he sent out letters. Mind you, such is the clout Nilrusha carries, he did so at a time Fernandopulle was out of the country. 

Lo and behold, the meeting had some unexpected guests. The first was Cusack, the deposed engineer's representative who had no right or basis to be present at the meeting especially given the lack of confidence the RDA officials had in his integrity.

Not only that, his own employer Pacific Consultants International had removed him from his post accepting the concerns of partiality voiced by the RDA.

The second was an official from the Chinese Embassy in Colombo.


However Nilrusha Peiris found no fault with having invited Cusack to the meeting. 'He was called by me because he knew the subject of the restructure as it was discussed during his time.' 

When it is pointed out that Nilrusha was accused of trying to influence the reinstatement of Cusack he denied it saying, 'There is no question of us asking him to be reinstated as he has already been removed. When he started speaking about his personal issues we said he was to confine his speech only regarding the issues of the contractor company,' Pieris said.

Pieris also said he called the Chinese Embassy official as China Harbour Company had copied letters regarding the restructure to their embassy as well.

However other informed sources told The Sunday Leader the meeting shouldn't have included either of these two persons and that the Chinese Embassy official had been present to probably pressurise the Ministry and the RDA officials into conceding to the restructure.

Official raises issue

Sources also said the meeting included Secretary, Ministry of Highways and Road Development, S. Amarasekera, RDA official and Project Director, S. Meihandan, representatives from China Harbour Company and the project engineers Pacific Consultants International and, its new engineer's representative, Toki.  

It is learnt however that despite Pieris' claims it was in fact Amarasekera, known to be a straight talking public servant who had immediately raised the issue of Cusack's presence at the meeting. Cusack had brought up some personal issues but Amarasekera had been firm stating since he had been called he could now remain but he had no right to talk at the meeting.

When the matter of restructure was taken up Amarasekera clearly explained to the Chinese contractor that the project could not be restructured as there was no change of scope or design. In support of the contractors Pieris had earlier asserted that two other contractors on the same project in the southern section of the highway - Taisei and Kumagai had been allowed new agreements. Amarasekera was not immediately available for comment.

However it is the contention of senior Ministry officials and Meihandan that in this case the design and cope of the contract had completely changed. For instance a two lane had been made a four lane. However the China Harbour Company section had been contracted as a four lane from the inception and there was no basis to now raise the rates by approximately US$ 30-40 million by restructuring the same.

The meeting concluded with China Harbour stating it would have to go in for litigation. Pieris confirmed to this newspaper the contractor would go for arbitration on this matter.

Ironically, the Chinese Embassy official it is learnt had finally advised China Harbour Company to conform to the views of the RDA. Pieris however denies this.   

Following the meeting, China Harbour Company it is learnt wrote to Minister Fernandopulle stating that their issues were not addressed at this meeting. However the Minister's private secretary said he was unaware of such a letter.

It is now left to be seen how President Mahinda Rajapakse will deal with this issue considering the fact it was a project formulated when he was Highways Minister.


Sex, lies and dirty deals that have rocked the JVP

Sunil Handunnetti, Sunil Handunnetti's wife -gagged, Shirsha Udayanthi Weerawansa and Wimal Weerawansa

Handunnetti's unofficial house arrest 
opens a can of worms

JVP's dirty financial deals cause furore in party

MP accuses party of accepting money from casino king

Wimal's wife's luxury lifestyle a talking point in party

By Malaika Fernando

The simmering discontent in the JVP especially among its senior most members over the party's "unprincipled" policies has now reached boiling point with the Marxists' involvement in underhand deals, links to casino kings and intimidatory tactics all set to play out in public.

Several cases involving the party allegedly receiving financial support from casino owners and from business establishments, accepting bribes, threatening and intimidating certain members of the JVP itself for raising these issues within the party, as well as illicit love affairs of several senior JVP members have now exploded inside the party like a claymore bomb.

The internal conflict within the JVP was blown wide open after the party decided to place one of its Colombo District Parliamentarians, Sunil Handunnetti under unofficial house arrest last December.

Can of worms

Handunnetti's unofficial house arrest has opened a can of worms and the JVP in a bid to cover up the details have vehemently denied ever placing any restrictions on the JVP parliamentarian. It has been alleged by sources close to Handunnetti that the party had forced him to make statements to the media denying that his party had placed him under unofficial house arrest.

Last week Handunnetti appeared in the media on several occasions always under close supervision. Since the story of his unofficial house arrest by the party came out in the media, Handunnetti first appeared in a political talk show telecast over a private television station last Monday where he vehemently denied the 'stories.' Handunnetti made his second appearance when he participated in a protest organised by the JVP outside the UN compound in Colombo last Wednesday. He was photographed by the media as he stood behind party heavyweights Wimal Weerawansa and Vijitha Herath.

It is now learnt that Handunnetti was placed under unofficial house arrest since December 22, 2007 by the party and an inside source has confirmed to The Sunday Leader the ghastly dealings by the party hierarchy which brings back haunting memories of its bloody role in the 1980s.

In this context the events leading to the explosion within the JVP make interesting reading.

Given the pressure mounted on Handunnetti for questioning the underhand financial dealings of the party hierarchy the member admitted himself to the Sri Jayewardenepura Hospital on December 19, 2007. He was first admitted to the ICU and thereafter transferred to Ward No. 6 where he remained till December 22. On December 22, he had left the hospital and returned home.

The detention

Soon after he had returned home, a person known as Priyantha in the party, along with several security personnel attached to the JVP had arrived at his residence and taken him with them to a location known only to the party hierarchy.

Handunnetti's mobile phone no: 0773 865 036 registered under one Mrs. R.A.D.H. Ranasinghe, 49/2, Kottawa, Pannipitiya was disconnected a few days later.

Handunnetti feared that he would at some point be taken prisoner by his own party owing to the growing animosity of several party seniors against him who felt he was becoming a stumbling block in what the former has termed as the party's "lucrative business deals."

For some time now, Handunnetti had been critical of the party's involvement in certain business transactions which were negotiated to find funds for the party, especially for the establishment of the party's new headquarters and perks for the top rung.

Handunnetti has opposed the party's decision to accept funds from a well-known casino owner in Colombo. It is learnt that the casino owner who likes to dust his stars and place his bets with prominent members of all parties had made two generous donations to the party fund. The first was a payment of Rs. 500,000 and the second was a payment of Rs. 100,000.

Soon after these transactions Handunnetti had told a close confidant that he could not believe the JVP had accepted money from a casino owner and added that he was too depressed to even be in the party anymore. He has also told the confidant that the JVP has always stood against casinos and this act by the party was in violation of party principles.

Issues raised

Apart from this, Handunnetti raised a voice within the party against its involvement in business deals. The party however had not heeded the concerns raised by Handunnetti.

Another issue that was taken up by Handunnetti was the case involving Bogawanthalawa Plantations and the sub leasing of 13 of its rubber estates to Lalan Rubbers.

According to Handunnetti, this was yet another instance where the party had violated its 'principles' by converting an issue of national interest into yet another business deal.

The Bogawanthalawa issue reached Handunnetti in 2006 and after studying the issue in depth he raised the matter in parliament. The allegation was that 13 rubber estates belonging to  Bogawanthalawa Plantations Limited was given on a sub lease to Lalan Rubbers (Pvt) Limited since the former was operating at a loss. However, it has been alleged that the lands were sub leased in contravention of the stipulated laws and that Lalan Rubbers was unwilling to return the lands back to Bogawanthalawa Plantations.

It has been alleged that when Handunnetti raised the issue of Bogawanthalawa Plantations, the party had approached the said establishment and had received from them financial support for the JVP fund. The guarantee given to the plantation company was that the party would raise the issue in parliament and that it would help them get back their rubber estates.

Death threats

In this backdrop, Handunnetti had informed confidants he was receiving death threats from people claiming to be affiliated to Lalan Rubbers and added that although the party was trying to take a side in the case, his stance was that the rubber estates should not be held by either Bogawanthalawa Plantations or Lalan Rubbers. He had said that it should be taken directly under the purview of the government.

 Given this state of play, owners of Lalan Rubbers had approached the JVP through one of its Parliamentarians, Badulla District JVP MP, Samantha Vidyaratne.

Vidyaratne it is alleged had then taken the owners of Lalan Rubbers to meet Weerawansa, who had after accepting a financial contribution for the party, requested them to be part of the Patriotic National Movement (Deshahithaishi Jathika Vyaparaya).

When contacted by The Sunday Leader, Lalan Rubbers (Pvt) Limited Head, Lalith Hapangama denied making any financial contribution to either the JVP or the PNM and ever meeting Weerawansa.

However, he said that he contacted Vidyaratne as he was a member of the parliamentary sub committee that was looking into the Bogawanthalawa Plantations case and asked him to put him through to the member of the JVP who has raised the issue in parliament.

Vidyaratne had then introduced Hapangama to Handunnetti. According to Hapangama, he had met with Handunnetti on a Monday at his office in Maharagama and requested the latter to hear the other side to the Bogawanthalawa Plantations story.

Hapangama told The Sunday Leader that Handunnetti had told him that since the matter was being probed by the parliamentary sub committee, they should wait till the final outcome was known.

Hapangama also said that the JVP throughout has shown partiality towards Bogawanthalawa Plantations.

Handunnetti, meanwhile had told close family members that he was not pleased with the manner in which the party handled the Bogawanthalawa case.

Side business

With money being the name of the game, the party had also decided to undertake contracts for putting up posters for whoever that pays them. One such contract accepted was to put up posters for Arya, manufacturers of sanitary napkins.

This party decision to accept the poster campaign for Arya sanitary napkins was opposed by Handunnetti.

Handunnetti had objected to the decision by saying that it was going to create an impression that the party had fallen into the lowest possible level imaginable to earn money.

It is learnt that when representatives from the Arya Company visit the districts, they get in touch with the JVP office, which then deploys a group of its young members to paste the posters in the area.

Handunnetti had told the party that as a movement that adhered to strong principles, it should think twice when deciding on ways to generate funds for the JVP and argued it was more dignified for the party to walk the streets with tills than resort to such methods.

Personal affairs

Apart from all these issues, Handunnetti had also voiced his disapproval at the manner in which certain JVP seniors carried on with their personal affairs.

He had been critical of Wimal Weerawansa's conduct and said it had created a bad impression on the party. Handunnetti had said that it was hard for the party to speak on behalf of the poor in the country when certain senior members of the JVP led luxurious lives.

He had said that apart from the image maintained by Weerawansa at a high cost, the brand new vehicle driven by his wife was making matters worse.


Weerawansa's wife, Shirsha Udayanthi or "Shashi," is said to be driving around in a black TATA Vios bearing number, WP KD 2419 registered under the name of Weewela Hewage Charitha Akalanka, 317/3, Sunflower Village, Danmulla Road, Mulleriyawa.

The party it is learnt had then tried to silence Handunnetti by citing an extra-marital affair the member was allegedly having with another female JVP member.

It has been alleged that Handunnetti was engaged in an extra-marital affair with a female cadre for the past four years in direct violation of party principles. The affair it is said has angered Handunnetti's wife, who is also a full time member of the JVP and she had raised the issue with the party.

She, it transpired in investigations, had complained to the party leadership of his movements as well. She had allegedly called some of Handunnetti's friends and shouted at them for helping him.

Seeking favours

According to one of Handunnetti's family members, when one of the MP's friends had told Handunnetti's wife that she would be reported to the party if she were to continue shouting at people, she had allegedly said that she had no problem with it as JVP politburo member and Parliamentarian K.D. Lalkantha has been showing interest in her for some time, and that he would definitely stand by her.

 Such are the depths to which the party has sunk with sex, lies and financial dealings dominating it, and even the personal lives of the senior members have now become fair game with Handunnetti accused of abusing his wife.

Towards this end, photographs of Handunnetti's wife's with a plaster on her mouth, allegedly placed by her husband, have been released to create an impression that Handunnetti was treating his wife in an inhumane manner.

When all these issues kept mounting on him, Handunnetti had contemplated leaving the party that he had worked for over 15 years.

He had even met with one time JVP presidential candidate, politburo member and Parliamentarian, Nandana Gunathileka and asked him if he could get the government to help him leave the country.

During the budget debate, Handunnetti, who was depressed by the manner in which the party had compromised its policies, was contemplating on moving out of the party and serving as an independent member in parliament.

However, he had told a close confidant that he could not do so as the party would then kill him. Handunnetti had said that the only reason the party could not get rid of Gunathileka was because the media highlighted the issue and he received the backing of the government. Handunnetti believed that for him too, such a course of action would be the only salvation.

Double game during budget

Handunnetti had also said that the party was playing a double game and that during the budget it used both the government and the UNP. He has said that while Weerawansa and Bimal Ratnayake were named by the party to establish links with the government, Anura Kumara Dissanayake and K.D. Lalkantha were asked to build a rapport with the UNP and adopt a divide and rule strategy until they achieve their goal of marginalising the SLFP and weakening the UNP to form a government of their own.

 By this time Handunnetti had already been named by the party to take part in a parliamentary delegation that was scheduled to visit Singapore soon after the budget vote on December 14.

Realising this was the ideal time to decamp Handunnetti had started to prepare the necessary travel documents and decided that he would travel to the UK from Singapore without returning to the island.

The party however heard of Handunnetti's plan from a source close to the family and immediately withdrew his name from the parliamentary delegation. The JVP then nominated Parliamentarian Wasantha Samarasinghe to be included in the delegation.

Handunnetti from then on was watched closely by the party and was given a warning as well.

After the budget vote on December 14, Handunnetti knew that the party was tightening the noose round his neck and unable to do anything admitted himself to the Sri Jayewardenepura Hospital on December 19.

Soon after Handunnetti was placed under unofficial house arrest by the party his wife and child had moved out of the house and are believed to be staying with a relative.

Handunnetti's parents living in Deniyaya, upon hearing the news, had also locked up the house and gone to a relative's place for safety fearing that the JVP may adopt their old methods to silence them as well.

The party according to an inside source had allegedly told Handunnetti's mother not to utter a word to the media if she knew what was best for her son.

However, after the few public appearances made by Handunnetti last week, his mother it is learnt has returned to the house in Deniyaya.

Handunnetti, after participating at the party's protest outside the UN compound was taken to his residence at Madiwela by party members under close guard. It is learnt that Handunnetti was asked to bring along with him files and other documents in his possession.

President in the know?

Amidst all this drama, Weerawansa's wife is alleged to have called President Rajapakse according to Handunnetti's confidant and complained that although much publicity was given to the alleged sexual harassment case involving her husband, the illicit love affairs of other JVP seniors were far worse and had given the names of several firebrand JVP parliamentarians and details of their secret love affairs to be probed.

 Thus Handunnetti's saga has so far managed to bring out at least some skeletons out of JVP's closet.

The JVP that has waxed eloquence of being a party with principles and purity of purpose, has, it thus appears, not only betrayed the people who voted for it, but  its own membership as well. 


The fury of a love unrequited

From hope to despair - no one can believe 
that it is Roshani who is in the coffin

By Ranee Mohamed

One week had elapsed, but the tears in the eyes of the residents of the unspoilt little town of Makowita, had not dried.

As women spat as they passed the ramshackle house in which the suspect lived, the memories of how they thronged there, crying out both in protest and agony came to mind.

It was a time when Makowita in Jaela sprung to the limelight for a murder most foul, of a young girl who was just beginning to experience the wonder of youth.

It was at about 6 a.m. on Friday, January 18, when Roshani Surangika (23) walked down a bylane close to this house, a walk that led to her final destination. For the 25 year old suspect, living in the house had followed her once again, as he did for the past several months.

Looking forward to the weekend

Clad in a saree, Roshani Surangika had been happy and carefree that Friday, for she had commented to her parents that it was the last day of the week and hence was looking forward to some well earned rest during the weekend.

But it was on the weekend that she was prepared to be laid to rest, as her body was pulled out of the watery grave and her lifeless body wiped off all the muck from the toilet pit.

This was what happened to the innocent eldest child of Viviene Gunasekera and Navin Wickremasinghe, whom they did not even put down on the floor when she was a baby. 

As officers of the Gampaha police continued their investigations, they awaited the test reports Friday to ascertain whether Roshani Surangika, whose body was without any underwear, had been raped by the suspect. 

Angry villagers continued to mourn the tragedy that had befallen a young woman whom they all commented 'looked like an angel.'

In a dark hole

But the last moments of Roshani Surangika were spent in a dark hole where angels would never dwell. Her body was found several hours after her death in a toilet pit behind a house situated opposite a temple in Makowita, Jaela.

"We were able to arrest the suspect the same evening, but it took him a whole night to tell us the details of the gruesome act," said Chief Inspector Prabath Dayananda when contacted by The Sunday Leader.

The 25 year old suspect had reportedly told police that he had repeatedly professed his love for Roshani but had been rebufffed and scoffed at by her. "I tried to win her love for several months," the accused had reportedly told police.

"On January 18th too, I waited for her as she made her way to work around 6 a.m. I stopped her and I told her that I love her and suggested that we get together and go somewhere to talk about it. But she not only turned me down but hit me with her slipper," the suspect had told police.

The suspect had then gone on to elaborate to police that he had then hit the young girl and dragged her along the small bylane to the rear of his house. After assaulting her, the suspect had reportedly told police that he had thereafter thrown her into the toilet pit.

Rape suspected

As Roshani's body was without any undergarments police are also suspecting rape.

The suspect in his statement also says that he had given the mobile phone and a gold necklace which was in the possession of Roshani to another female. Police have also arrested another female with whom the suspect is believed to be romantically linked.  

Meanwhile a heart broken Viviene Gunasekera who is the mother of this young girl said that her eldest daughter was the apple of her eye. "She was an obedient girl who had many dreams. She always told me that she will get married when she was 28 years of age and that too to a person of my choice. We are innocent people who have not harmed anyone. Why did this happen to my child?" queried this mother in tears.

"I have brought up my three children with great difficulty," she cried and begged that justice be meted out to the suspect. "Don't let this be another forgotten case. The man who killed my child should not be let free for want of evidence," begged the mother in tears.

Always with a smile

Meanwhile the residents of Makowita went on to describe the beauty of Roshani and her winning ways. "It was recently that she started working at a bank. She had many plans. Every morning she made her way to the bank, and she never failed to give a smile," they recalled.

Roshani's father, Navin Wickremasinghe is paralysed.  However he is moved to the depths of despair with the loss of his eldest daughter who he said is the light of his life.

"On January 18, I received a telephone call from the bank at about 9 a.m. asking me whether my daughter had left home for work. I told them that she left home early in the morning, for that day too, she worshipped me and her father and left for work. I was so worried when I received this call from the bank. I was restless, and in a few minutes I called them back again and asked them whether my beloved daughter had come to work and they replied in the negative," recalled Roshani Surangika's mother, Viviene Gunasekera.

Frantic search

Thereafter the grief-stricken mother had rushed to the National Hospital in Colombo and checked in the OPD and in the Accident Service to see whether her daughter had been admitted to hospital. Unknown to her, her child was already in a murky watery grave in a toilet pit back home in Makowita.

"We looked all over Colombo but I did not find my daughter. Thereafter I received information that my daughter has been murdered and was lying in a toilet pit. It was the most agonising day of my life," recalled Roshani's mother Viviene. "When I rushed there I saw my daughter in the toilet pit, she was wearing the same saree she wore that morning..... when she left the house, when she kissed me and when she worshipped me...." said the mother crying uncontrollably.

Meanwhile the younger sister of Roshani Surangika who is undergoing training at the Welisara Navy Camp to become a woman sailor said that she cannot bear the death of her sister. "My sister said that it was her dream to see me in navy uniform. She promised me that she will come on the day I am passing out just to see me in my uniform," said sister Kaushalya Priyadarshini.

Tip off

"I cannot live without my sister," cried Kaushalya.

Meanwhile, the accused, a labourer has said that it had all begun with a verbal onslaught. He had reportedly told police that he had caught her by the neck and dragged her down a small lane that led to his house.

However police believe that he has not given them the complete picture.

Police acting on a tip off was able to track down the suspect that same evening. Police are also questioning an individual who claims to have been a witness to this incident.

"I had many hopes and dreams for my beautiful daughter, but they were all snatched away by one man on Friday morning. Why did he have to kill my child who I have struggled to bring up? How could he do this to her if he loved her?" her mother continues to cry in anguish.

Chief Inspector Prabath Dayananda and Crimes OIC IP Hettiarachchi instructed by SSP Hector Dharmasiri and ASP Edirisuriya are continuing investigations into the murder.


©Leader Publications (Pvt) Ltd.
24, Katukurunduwatte Road, Ratmalana Sri Lanka
Tel : +94-75-365891,2 Fax : +94-75-365891
email :